Call 888-880-1880

8am-5pm M-F (PT)

  • EnvironmentalLights.com
  • 11235 West Bernardo Court, Suite 102, San Diego, CA 92127
    • 888-880-1880 (US)
    • (858) 521-0233 (Intl.)
    • 8am-5pm M-F (PT)



07/31/2014
This quote is valid for 30 days.

Energy efficiency resolutions for 2013

Posted on January 4, 2013 Category: Energy-Efficiency Articles

Saving money and becoming more environmentally friendly are two of the most popular New Year's resolutions for 2013. Some simple resolutions can allow you to kill both birds with one stone and some easy behavioral changes. The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy estimates that changing one's lifestyle habits can account for up to 15 percent of all energy savings. Here are some easy tips on energy efficiency resolutions for 2013.

Upgrade to energy-efficient LED lighting
According to Spark Energy, switching from incandescent bulb types to high efficiency LED lights can save a considerable amount of energy through different factors. For instance, incandescent light bulbs use only 10 percent of their energy in producing light, with the remaining 90 percent used to produce heat. This means that these bulbs burn out faster and require more constant replacement. The news source notes that LED lighting is 80 percent more efficient and lasts 25 times longer.

Install ENERGY STAR appliances
There are many electrical appliances around the household, including your light bulb types and fixtures, that can qualify for ENERGY STAR certification. According to Consumer Reports, products that have earned the ENERGY STAR seal of approval use 10 to 15 percent less energy and water than standard models. Furthermore, products that meets these standards allow users to save more than $900 over the lifetime of the appliances.

Turn off the lights when you leave the room
This is perhaps the simplest resolution that one can make. Anytime you're leaving the room for more than 15 minutes, turn off the light and see the savings show up not only in your electricity bill but also in the positive impact on the environment.