- Product Features
This is a 12 inch (300 mm) long LED infra red bar that's great for illuminating multitouch screens. You can buy our IR LED strips to edge-light the acrylic pane, but to illuminate the pane directly from camera direction, you need a high flux source to evenly distribute the IR light. Our customers asked for a distibuted light source that will improve sensitivity at the edges of the screen and be easy to install and use. Well, here it is! You can buy the bar, connectors and drivers as individual items, or you can buy our 2-bar and 4-bar kits, each of which comes with North American or European plugs.
- 850 nanometer wavelength (near infrared), which is preferred by the multi touch screen builder market.
- 593 milliwatts radiant flux.
- 120 degree beam angle.
- 12 LEDs along the length of the 12 inch (300 mm) bar distribute IR radiation evenly.
- Simple to set up, using a variety of handy connectors.
- Uses 12 Volts DC, same as our infra red flexible strips.
- Uses the latest high-flux 5050 surface mount LEDs.
- The kit includes:
- *2 high flux infrared bars
- *2 bar joiners
- *4 angle clips and screws
- *4 straight clips and screws
- *1 power cord with in-line switch
- *1 40 inch cord to connect the bars to each other
- *1 12 volt 60 watt power supply with European plug
- Overall length of the bar is 11.8 inches, and with our sleek bar joiners, there's no additional length added if you link the bars. One bar joiner is included with each light bar.
- Dimmable using the dimmer and dimming power supplies listed as companion parts below. Super-smooth dimming is easy to achieve using a wide variety of standard magnetic dimmers.
- Linkable up to 13 feet of light bars per electrical branch. For larger installations, use multiple branches.
- Easy to install—2 quick-mount brackets and screws included per bar. You can tilt the light bars up to 10° from horizontal by adjusting which grooves on the side of the light you use. Angle brackets are available as an option, so you can tilt the bars 45° from horizontal, with additional adjustment possible, from 23° to 53°.
- Durable optical grade lens is much less fragile than glass and provides excellent light dispersion. Beam angle (50%) is 110°; Field angle (10%) is 130°. Shield angle orthogonal to light bar is (180°-130°)/2 = 25°.
- Easy to put 2 of more bars in parallel to double the light output if you need very high brightness, using our novel bar jumpers.
- Tighty Righty connectors allow you to put your light bars against other objects because the connectors protrude only 3/8 inch off the end of the bar.
- High-grade aluminum extruded housing is rugged and handsome.
- Shock and vibration resistant.
- Operating range: 0° - 150° F.
- No radio frequency interference.
- No buzzing noise.
- No flickering.
- Instant on.
- No mercury to contaminate the environment upon disposal.
- Long life. 3-year warranty.
- Works in conjunction with our UL approved adapters and dimming power supplies.
Please see Infrared Guide for details on exactly what you need to make your system work the way you want it to. This light bar requires a 12 Volt DC power supply. You will also need a power cable (see companion parts below). Without a power cable you cannot connect power to the special fitting on the end of the bar.
Excessive exposure to infrared light may be hazardous. Here is a scientific paper on the hazards.
The excellent video above, "How To Build a Rear DI Multitouch Table," shows how to use either our infrared light bars or infrared modules to illuminate the cavity of a Rear DI multitouch screen. It also shows the optional touch dimmer, which works with the bars.
For illuminating a multitouch screen from the direction of your camera, such as required with Rear DI screens, consider using a pair of parallel bars or a rectangle of 4 bars. We offer pair and quad kits with North American or European plugs that will work on voltages found just about anywhere in the world (100-240 VAC, 50 to 60 hz).
- 2-bar North American plug.
- 4-bar North American plug.
- 2-bar European plug.
- 4-bar European plug
We also offer infrared module kits with North American or European plugs:.
- 12-module North American plug.
- 25-module North American plug.
- 50-module North American plug.
- 12-module European plug.
- 25-module European plug.
- 50-module European plug
If you are making a multitouch screen, please refer to our Multitouch Screen IR LED Buying Guide. Additional pictures, related products, such as IR cameras, and expert commentary are available at Peau Productions.
Infrared (IR) radiation is electromagnetic radiation whose wavelength is longer than that of visible light, but shorter than that of terahertz radiation and microwaves. The name means "below red" (from the Latin infra, "below"), red being the color of visible light with the longest wavelength. Infrared radiation has wavelengths between about 750 nm and 1 mm, spanning three orders of magnitude.
Infrared imaging is used extensively for both military and civilian purposes. Military applications include target acquisition, surveillance, night vision, homing and tracking. Non-military uses include thermal efficiency analysis, remote temperature sensing, short-ranged wireless communication, spectroscopy, and weather forecasting. At the atomic level, infrared energy elicits vibrational modes in a molecule through a change in the dipole moment, making it a useful frequency range for study of these energy states. Infrared spectroscopy examines absorption and transmission of photons in the infrared energy range, based on their frequency and intensity.
For an example of an ingenious use of IR LED strip lighting, please see the short videos explaining how to make a multitouch display created by the TouchFactors Lab: Using Infrared LED Ribbons for Multi-Touch and Creating Multi-Touch Display with IR LED Ribbons.
Some people are also using our waterproof IR ribbon for exterior lighting for security purposes. The IR light is visible on most cameras and will light up intruders without their knowledge.
The most common error people make is forgetting to order a power supply and connectors. The Buying Guide contains a chart to help you select a driver large enough for your installation.
Light Color Infra Red 850 nm Lens Flat Beam Angle 110° Brightness 1186 milliwatt Power (Watts) 3.2 Input Voltage 12 DC Number of LEDs 12 LED Spacing (English) 0.98 in LED Spacing (Metric) 25 mm Length (English) 11.8 in Length (Metric) 300 mm Width (English) 0.77 in Width (Metric) 19.6 mm Height (English) 0.48 in Height (Metric) 12.2 mm Average Lifetime 40,000 hours Rating CE, RoHS Warranty 3 years
- Photos & Videos
- Companion Parts